Just us Goofing around!

You never know what these monkeys will be up to! Save us to your favorites and find out!

Meisberger Monkeys

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving






Thanksgiving this year was wonderful as always. I always spend my mornings serving the needy which really gives me and my family a greater appreciation for all that we have. A few years back I went to go volunteer for the EFN and I was turned away. I ended up driving around downtown Tacoma until I found this church. Since that day this is where I have returned. I have never in my life felt more love, graciousness and appreciation for life then I do inside those 4 walls. The church is predominately black and a lot of the time when we are there we are singing and praising the lord.

Last year as well as this year after we prepared the meals at the church we were outsourced to local shelters. The last two years I have been sent to Nativity House. I love returning here because this is the place I used to serve in high school. Many of the same faces are still walking thru those doors. The building has changed and is much bigger then it used to be but the help and need however have not!

It seems like with the hustle and bustle of life we tend to forget that there are others in need and that are way worse off then us. Handing someone a hot plate of food can completely turn their day around. Sitting down to play a game of chess or to just say "how are you"? can make them feel worth something. They are not scary and they really truly appreciate the smallest of things. A pair of gloves, a hat or a hot cup of coffee. Our local shelters are in dire need of items for this winter. Last weeks weather was a small indicator of what we are in for over the next few months. 10 degrees is cold when you are on the streets and have no shelter. When you are cleaning out those drawers and making your goodwill bags. Drop them at a shelter instead. People are lined up to receive such small items to make their lives a little better off.

A small thing I have been doing lately is buying coffee cards with little amounts on them. When I am walking to get coffee near my office and am hit up for change I hand them these cards to the local Cutters Point. That way they can have $2 to get hot coffee or a pastry. A little amount to me but a huge deal to them!

Anyways I am coming off my soap box now. Thanksgiving was wonderful and I am so thankful for all the wonderful things and people in my life!

No comments: